London’s Official Guest of Honour, Adaeze Uyanwah launches her once-in-a-lifetime trip to the capital in style this weekend with a £5,000 (US$8,000) shopping extravaganza on world famous Oxford St.
Adaeze, 24, from California, who has been selected as London's Official Guest of Honour following an extensive international search, was trumpeted into Heathrow today (Saturday 7 February) with the red carpet rolled out and a marching band greeting her.
Adaeze, who is being accompanied by her mother Faye, was then chauffeured in a back cab to her luxury suite at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street Hotel.
She will formally begin her trip to the capital tomorrow (Sunday 8 February) by being treated to the £5,000 spending spree on Oxford St, accompanied by the editor of Glamour magazine, Jo Elvin. She will be then be given the opportunity to model her new clothes in a fashion photoshoot with Fenton Bailey.
It marks the start of a two week stay in London during which the Guest of Honour will have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience the capital in the company of a handful of the UK's best known celebrities. Her first celebrity engagement will be a tour of the All England Tennis Club, which hosts The Wimbledon Championships, with Tim Henman on Monday.
On arrival Adaeze, who is a teacher and creative writer, said: “I’ve been looking forward to this trip so much and have been anticipating what would happen when I touched down on London soil…This surreal and wonderful welcome has surpassed all my expectations and I can’t wait to get started on this adventure!”
Chris Gottlieb Chief Marketing and Communications Officer at London & Partners, said: “It’s been marvellous to welcome Adaeze and her mother to London with true British pomp and ceremony. As London’s Official Guest of Honour, we are looking forward to giving Adaeze a unique insight into the capital and beyond so that she can return to the United States a special ambassador for London and the UK”.
Over 100,000 people registered on the Guest of Honour website and 10,000 people submitted entries to become the Official Guest of Honour, an initiative launched by Visitlondon.com in partnership with VisitBritain and the UK Government’s GREAT Britain campaign.
Adaeze will visit the city’s most iconic visitor attractions with her special hosts. Her experience will include:
- Visiting the Science Museum with renowned physicist Professor Stephen Hawking.
- Taking afternoon tea at Lord’s Cricket Ground with Downton Abbey’s butler Carson – actor Jim Carter
- A behind-the-scenes tour of the Houses of Parliament with Speaker of the House of Commons, the Rt Hon John Bercow MP
- Opening Tower Bridge, the most famous bridge in the world
- Having a meal cooked byMichelin-starred chef Jason Atherton at his flagship restaurant, Pollen Street Social
- Taken on a tour of the Royal Opera House by world-famous singer and conductor, Plácido Domingo and British ballerina and Strictly Come Dancing judge Darcey Bussell,
Adaeze will also be taking a VIP trip to Wales to enjoy the beautiful Welsh countryside, rich heritage and local cuisine – including a visit to the historic Llansantffraed Court in Monmouthshire
Describing her dream day in London, Adaeze said: “First, I’d wake up at Buckingham Palace if possible. Then I’d go for a full English breakfast at a traditional English pub. I’d then take a tour of Parliament and see a show in the West End. I’d end the day on the London Eye, overlooking the city. There are so many more things I’d love to do in my favourite city! Not enough hours in the day.”
Adaeze will be hosted throughout the break by London & Partners, the Mayor of London’s promotional company, which has worked with many partners across the capital to make this dream trip come true.
London’s world class visitor attractions have been helping drive a big increase in tourists coming to the capital – putting the city on course for its most successful tourism year.
To find out more go to www.visitlondon.com/guest or follow Adaeze’s journey live @LondonGuest
Notes to Editors
IMAGES AND VIDEO
High resolution images and broadcast quality b-roll of experiences (uploaded as they happen), celebrities and attractions, broadcast quality interview footage about the campaign with Mayor of London Boris Johnson and images of London’s City Hall lit up with the Official Guest of Honour crest are available for download at:
- Dropbox: http://bit.ly/13D1bM5
- Newsmarket: www.thenewsmarket.com/londonandpartners
The Magic Moments include
- Have afternoon tea with Downton Abbey’s, Jim Carter, at Lord’s Cricket Ground
- Visit the Science Museum with renowned physicist Professor Stephen Hawking*
- Enjoy a six course meal cooked by Michelin-starred chef Jason Atherton
- Tour the Royal Opera House with world-famous singer and conductor, Plácido Domingo and internationally famed prima ballerina and Strictly Come Dancing judge, Darcey Bussell
- Go on a guided tour of the Houses of Parliament with Speaker of the House of Commons Rt Hon John Bercow MP*
- Raise the most famous bridge in the world -Tower Bridge
- Tour the Wimbledon Grounds and Museum with British tennis star Tim Henman
- Walk the red carpet at a film premiere in Central London
- Enjoy a VIP shopping experience on Oxford Street
- Be a Keeper for the day at ZSL London Zoo, the world’s first scientific zoo
- Edit a page of the “London Life” section of the Evening Standard newspaper
- Fire the guns from the warship, HMS Belfast a privilege normally reserved for special events
London & Partners has worked with many organisations to make Adaeze’s trip come true, including Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Transport for London and VisitWales among many others.
*Event closed to media
About London & Partners
London & Partners is the official promotional company for London. We promote London and attract businesses, events, congresses, students and visitors to the capital. Our aims are to build London’s international reputation and to attract investment and visitor spend, which create jobs and growth.
London & Partners is a not-for-profit public private partnership, funded by the Mayor of London and our network of commercial partners.
For more information visit www.londonandpartners.com
For more information, including attendance at experiences within the itinerary, please contact:
Rebekah Clement, Media & PR Manager – Leisure Tourism
Tel: +44 (0)20 7234 5861 / +44 (0) 7826 907 415
London & Partners Media & PR Team
Tel: +44 (0)20 7234 5710
Switch: +44 (0)20 7234 5800