London continues to receive accolades as the best place on earth to visit, with the capital winning a top destination award overnight.
Last night at the 2014 Condé Nast Traveller Reader's Travel Awards, London was awarded Favourite UK City for the fourth year running. The capital took out 14 of the 15 best UK Business Hotels awards, and the Corinthia Hotel’s ESPA Life spa was named the best UK Hotel Spa.
These awards follow the respected Mastercard Global Cities Index report in July, where London was crowned the most popular tourist destination in the world with international visitor projections for 2014 at 18.7 million. The record-breaking trend in international visitor numbers to the capital continued in the first three months of 2014, with over 3.6 million overseas visits resulting in the best ever first quarter tourism numbers in the city’s history*.
Julie Chappell, Director of VisitLondon.com said: “We are delighted that London has, for the fourth consecutive year, been voted by Condé Nast Traveller Readers as their favourite UK destination. The unique offer that the capital boasts including its rich cultural calendar, sporting and major events, and world famous attractions means that visitors from all over the world can experience the vibrancy and ever-changing nature each time they come.”
Visitors are coming to London in ever increasing numbers to attend the capital’s calendar of world-class exhibitions, visit the city’s famous landmarks, enjoy its diverse culture, and watch major sporting events including Tour de France which saw one million people take to the capital’s streets.
Culture remains the leading driver for tourists, with eight out of ten citing it as the main reason they visit the capital. The blockbuster autumn season** includes the largest exhibition of British First World War art for almost 100 years at the Imperial War Museum; a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to explore the passion and innovation of Rembrandt's influential late works at the National Gallery; and a major exhibition offering a new interpretation of one of Britain’s best-loved artists, John Constable, at the Victoria and Albert Museum.
Summer events also expected to entice visitors to the capital include the Totally Thames River Festival, the Royal Greenwich Tall Ships Festival which will see 50 historic vessels sail down The Thames, the Royal Childhood exhibition during the Buckingham Palace summer opening and the landmark annual event, The Proms at the Royal Albert Hall.
For more information on London www.visitlondon.com
Notes to Editors
* Figures are taken from Office for National Statistics International Passenger Survey and are provisional. Further analysis of the figures is available at: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/ott/overseas-travel-and-tourism---quarterly-release/q1-2014/index.html
Images of London available on request or from www.londononview.com
UK Business Hotels
1. Claridge’s, London 2. Mandarin Oriental, Hyde Park, London 3. The Savoy, London 4. The Connaught, London, 5. The Ritz, London 6. The Dorchester, London 7. Corinthia Hotel, London 8. Brown’s Hotel, London 9. Four Seasons Hotel, Park Lane, London 10. Bulgari Hotel, London 11. Intercontinental, London Park Lane 12. Dukes Hotel, London 13. The Berkeley, London 14. The Langham, London 15. The Lowry Hotel,
UK Holiday Hotels
1. Chewton Glen, Hampshire 2. Le Manoir aux, Quat’Saisons, Oxfordshire 3. Babington House, Somerset 4. Hotel Tresanton, Cornwall 5. The Pig, Hampshire 6. The Goring, London 7. Lime Wood, Hampshire 8. Barnsley House, Gloucestershire 9. The Gleneagles Hotel, Perthshire 10. The Soho Hotel, London 11. Coworth Park, Berkshire 12. Calcot Manor, Oxfordshire 13. Lucknam Park, Hotel & Spa, Wiltshire 14. The Balmoral Hotel, Edinburgh 15. The Wheatsheaf Inn, Gloucestershire 16. Gidleigh Park, Devon 17. The Scarlet, Cornwall 18. The Royal Crescent Hotel, Bath 19. Covent Garden Hotel, London 20. The Idle Rocks, Cornwall
UK Hotel Spas
1. ESPA Life at Corinthia, Corinthia Hotel, London 2. Cowshed Spa, Babington House, Somerset 3. The Spa by ESPA, The Gleneagles Hotel, Perthshire 4. Herb House Spa, Lime Wood, Hampshire 5. The Spa, Chewton Glen, Hampshire 6. The Spa at Mandarin Oriental, Hyde Park, London 7. Calcot Spa, Calcot Manor, Gloucestershire 8. The Spa at The Dorchester, London 9. The Spa at The Royal Crescent Hotel, Bath 10. Aman Spa, The Connaught, London 11. Sequoia, The Grove, Hertfordshire 12. The Spa, Lucknam Park Hotel, & Spa, Wiltshire 13. The Spa at Coworth Park, Berkshire 14. Cowshed Spa, St Moritz Hotel, Cornwall 15. C-Side, Cowley Manor, Gloucestershire
The full results of the annual Condé Nast Traveller Readers’ Travel Awards are available to see in the October issue of the magazine on sale from Monday 1st September 2014 or on www.cntraveller.co.uk.
**London & Partners – the Mayor’s official promotional company for the capital – and the GREAT Britain campaign have produced a short film previewing the Autumn Season in London as preparations start for the key period in the cultural calendar. Narrated by the respected British actor David Harewood MBE, the film highlights some of the key artistic, literary and theatrical events available across the capital and the great historical treasures that domestic and international visitors can enjoy.
BROADCAST FILM QUALITY ACCESS DETAILS
The London in Autumn is GREAT film and accompanying b-roll is HD broadcast quality, access media worldwide, all rights cleared including music.
1) Videos can also be accessed live on satellite “Eutelsat 7B”, "Asiasat 5" and "SES-5" at: www.eurovision.net/wf/worldfeeds.php
Available on WorldLink: http://www.eurovision.net/worldlink/front/view/mediaDetail.php?mediaNo=1615 Free access to all broadcasters.
If you wish to embed the video it can be accessed here - YouTube: http://youtu.be/qfLN5XqkStM
About London & Partners
London & Partners is the official promotional company for London. We promote London and attract businesses, events, congresses, students and visitors to the capital. Our aims are to build London’s international reputation and to attract investment and visitor spend, which create jobs and growth.
London & Partners is a not-for-profit public private partnership, funded by the Mayor of London and our network of commercial partners.
For more information visit www.londonandpartners.com
Rebekah Clement, Media & PR Manager – Leisure Tourism
Tel: +44 (0)20 7234 5861 / +44 (0) 7826 907 415