Today over 100 Number 7 Company Coldstream Guards and other members of the Household Division needed no egging on as they lined up to dip toast soldiers into soft-boiled eggs in an attempt to break a new Guinness World Records title at Wellington Barracks, as part of World Record London.
This record, Most people dipping egg soldiers simultaneously, is the last of over 20 iconic world records which has generated more than 16,000 new record holders over six months as part of London & Partner's World Record London, marking the start of a spectacular summer in the capital.
The carefully orchestrated event saw the guardsmen taking part in the Guinness World Records attempt by marching out to stand behind a soft-boiled egg and toasted soldier - on command they simultaneously 'double dipped' a bite of the traditional British breakfast.
London & Partners, the capital’s promotional organisation launched World Record London to celebrate its people, attractions, universities, businesses, sports and transport. Following this finale, London has officially beaten its target of 20 new world records in six months and become a world multi-record breaking city.
Gordon Innes, CEO, London & Partners said, "London set out to smash over 20 records in 2012 and we were delighted to be able to finish this spectacular achievement with a fitting finale involving the pomp and pageantry of the British Army and iconic London guardsmen. Changing the Guard is one of London's must-see attractions which are ready to welcome the world. Visitors are invited to watch, enjoy and take part in all that London has to offer in what promises to be a truly memorable summer."
Marco Frigatti, Head of Records at Guinness World Records, adds: "There has been a spectacular range of records achieved in the capital as a result of World Record London and Guinness World Records has welcomed a host of new entrants to our family of record holders. Today’s latest record breaking achievement completes an officially amazing start to 2012 for London."
All records were adjudicated by Guinness World Records – the universal authority on record-breaking achievement - and records achieved by London in 2012 include:
1. Longest marathon hugging welcoming the world to London
2. Longest curtsey relay in five minutes
3. Most entrants in an egg hunt competition
4. Largest reading lesson (multiple venues)
5. Most expensive chocolate egg sold at auction (non-jewelled)
6. Largest archaeological archive - Museum of London
7. Tallest costume to complete a marathon;
8. Fastest marathon hula-hooping;
9. and Fastest marathon on stilts were just three of the 29 Guinness World Records set at the 2012 Virgin London Marathon
10. First recorded Mr. Punch puppet show - to commemorate 350 years since Mr. Punch first appeared London's Covent Garden
11. Most Portrayed human literary Character In Film & TV - Sherlock Holmes
12. Longest line of fanfare trumpeters
13. Oldest continually working film studio - Ealing Studios
14. Most people throwing mortar boards simultaneously – celebrating international students in London
15. Longest club DJ session relay - 100 DJs at Ministry of Sound for London based Charity OneLife
16. Largest parade of boats - as part of the Thames Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Pageant
17. Largest treasure hunt game celebrating The Mayor's Team London Ambassadors
18. First underground railway system - to TFL and London Underground
19. Largest composite photograph exhibition by artist Clare Newton
20. Oldest bicycle shop - established in 1860 in Sutton, London
21. Most people dipping egg soldiers simultaneously
Notes to Editors
About London & Partners
London & Partners is the official promotional organisation for London. Our company attracts and delivers value to business, students and visitors. London & Partners is a not-for-profit public private partnership, funded by the Mayor of London and a network of commercial partners.
For more information visit www.londonandpartners.com
Sunita Sharma or Jo Geneen at London & Partners – press office
firstname.lastname@example.org - 0207 234 5844
email@example.com - 0207 234 5842